Which Lift Kit for 2008 Rubicon Unlimited? - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TJ & JK Forum Tips, how-to, parts & accessory discussion and information
RubiconOwnersForum.com is the premier Jeep Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Default Which Lift Kit for 2008 Rubicon Unlimited?

Which company makes the best, or strongest, or most reliable 2 to 3 inch lift kit that will install without major modifications? I have tried researching this info but only get directed to the manufacturer's web sites.

I was told by my local dealer that if they installed a MOPAR lift kit there would be no warranty issues????

I don't want to waste money on a cheap or poor performing system. I would rather pay a higher cost for a top rated system then less for a poor performing one or one that has quality issues.

I will be installing a "Rock-Slide Engineering" front winch bumper and a "Warn" 9.5ti winch so the added weight will have to be considered.

This is a daily driver, and I don't want to go too crazy with the lift, so I am thinking of the MOPAR 2 inch suspension lift with bilstein shocks.

Any suggestions?
swrosier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Default Re: Which Lift Kit for 2008 Rubicon Unlimited?

Warranties are usually honored from dealership to dealership. Check with yours. It's likely a Mopar lift won't void your warranty but then again, it's Mopar.

Check out the Nth kit by AEV. You can likely get two inches gain without much of a suspension change at all. I'll let the JK owners chime in.

...scenes from Okies painting booth: disassemble | paint and rebuild
kidmugg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official WebWheeler

I went with a 2.5" Tera Flex and per David's suggestion at Northridge, Old Man Emu shocks. I chose these over the Bilsteins due to the Daily Driver ride. The bilseins are pretty stiff. I added the heavy duty forged track bar from Tera Flex as well. 315/70 17's.

This lift has a great ride.

Good luck.

"Crab fishing in Alaska"
Red Dog Leader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Send a message via Yahoo to toymaster

I was trying to put all of your request together. Teraflex coil lift is great.

Here is the thing to go from a budget boost (meaning a small spacer lift) to an all out coil over 6" lift is a series of minor steps.

I had the same problem when I wanted to buy a cheap 1/2 ton truck I would go to the ford site and build one. I keep thinking for just a little extra money I can get this heavy duty option and more power....in a little while I was back to a 1 ton 4x4 diesel. When I looked at the base cost of a 1/2 ton regular cab 4x4 to a 1 ton crewcab it was a lot of difference in money but look at what you get for the money. It is a very slippery slope my friend.

If all you want is ride height go for a BB lift. Stay below 3" and don't worry about drive shafts. Stay with 33s or smaller tires and don't worry about gears, gussets on your front end, and wheel spacers or rims.

That said if you know you are the type to find your self on the slippery slope. Currie is a great lift I would give them a serious look in hindsight. I run a Rubicon Express superflex which is a good middle of the road quality wise.

Look at teraflex, RE, Currie, Old Man Emu

Here is the slippery slope:
1. budget boost
2. small coil lift (no control arms)
3. small coil lift + adjustable control arms
4. bigger coil lift + control arms + drive shaft(s)
5. bigger coil lift + control arms + drive shaf(s) + bigger tires + rims + gears + gussets + tire carrier
6. All of 5 but replace springs and shocks with coil overs.
7. Replace axles with Dana 60s + new drive shafts.
8. Cut up body and make a juggy.

The warranty issue is a whole topic in itself. The best thing to do if you are worried about it is talk to the dealer YOU will be taking it to and see if they are mod friendly or not. No they can not legally deny your warranty but they will (can) and you have no recourse. The worst cases I have heard of are when a dealership sells you a modified jeep (that they modified) and then refuses your warranty. The best case is the dealer will warranty every thing except the aftermarket parts.

If you try to take a dispute to chrysler you will be dealing with pencil neck geeks that do not know a lift from a hole in the ground. The blanket policy is to back the dealer and deny everything.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rubi Wheeler

I'm very happy with my AEV kit, but at 2.5 inches, the rock krawler pro 2.5 max travel system looks very nice.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Thanks to all of you who replied to my questions. This is exactly what I was hoping to get an insight on.
I have further discussed this with my local dealer, and have decided to go with the MOPAR 2" coil suspension lift with the Bilsteins. I actually would like a little sturdier ride that they will provide. Apparently, with the MOPAR kit, there is no cutting and welding involved. Direct fit.

Once again, thanks!
swrosier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

The MOPAR kit is made by Rubicon Express.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TJ & JK Forum Tips, how-to, parts & accessory discussion and information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.