To Moab experienced folks. Moab next week? (June 2017) - Rubicon Owners Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
To Moab experienced folks. Moab next week? (June 2017)

Wife and I are doing a around the US trip with the motorhome and Jeep. Will be traveling through Utah next week. Thinking to stop at Moab for a few days. Realize, I think, it's off the prime times to be there. Have not been to Moab previously.

Will there be other people there to do some light wheeling/ site seeing with? How to meet up?
What sites to see / scenic trails?
Need to call for reservations? Looking at maybe OK RV. Other suggestions?
What is the weather expectation?

Thanks!
Vince

Vince

05 TJ Rubi (auto) / RE 3.5 SF / JKS BL&MML / Old Man EMU Shocks / Currie Anti-Rock, Steering, Track Bars / Alloy Axles / Talon CV Driveshafts / Nitto 33x13.5 Mud Grapplers / 15x10 Eagles / Jeeperman Skidz / SkidRow Engine-Trans Skid / MileMarker Winch / RockHard Front & ProComp Rear Bumpers / Ravelco Security / CO2 Tank / CB+HAM

92' YJ - lifted, locked - sold...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:46 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Meet at City Market 0900 on almost any day for wheeling partners. Also go to the red rock 4x4 club site for contact info.
We live in SLC for 25 years and got to Moab a lot! Weather is unpredictable. It can snow in June and be 95 in October or the exact reverse could also be true. Be prepared
For the life of me I can't remember the name of the guy who wrote the trails guide for the Moab area--one of many areas--. You can pick one up at the visitors center in town. There are so many things to see and do it would be impossible to list them all. Two NPs and several State parks close to town. Lots of hikes --hidden canyon on the west side of 191 at the south end of town is one of our favorites.
Good luck
johncanfield likes this.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:12 PM
DAA

Reservations wouldn't be a bad idea. No such thing as off season for Moab anymore. Place is packed year round with mostly not off roaders. New hotels going up constantly, not sure about RV parks though. Still love the area but I really don't like the town itself anymore. Used to be one of my favorites but doesn't even resemble the old Moab I loved anymore.

- DAA
mac and Stinger like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Rubicus Maximus

If you would like an easy but memorable day.

North of town Highway 279 follows the Colorado River and goes to the Potash ponds is a very good "see the area" ride. A good hike is to Corona Arch on a primitive trail that is a bit scary for some as you need to climb some rock ledges while pulling yourself up funky chains and metal bars. Most find it fun though. Several arches in a pretty valley about a mile or less in. A better place to get into the Canyonlands without all the people.

Along the highway, you go by Poison Spider Trailhead, rock climbers on the cliffs and wonderful views or the river and canyon. Keep driving to the Potash ponds for more. Places to Boondock camp out in the area too. I believe the road keeps going and hooks into the Canyon Lands road and is on my wish list.

2005 Rubicon
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Great input - thanks all!

We are in Breckenridge CO now, headed for Grand Junction in the morning and plan to spend a couple three days there. Then likely move over to Moab, staying there for a few to several days.

Anyone else will comments, please add - thanks!

Vince

Vince

05 TJ Rubi (auto) / RE 3.5 SF / JKS BL&MML / Old Man EMU Shocks / Currie Anti-Rock, Steering, Track Bars / Alloy Axles / Talon CV Driveshafts / Nitto 33x13.5 Mud Grapplers / 15x10 Eagles / Jeeperman Skidz / SkidRow Engine-Trans Skid / MileMarker Winch / RockHard Front & ProComp Rear Bumpers / Ravelco Security / CO2 Tank / CB+HAM

92' YJ - lifted, locked - sold...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:24 AM

Garage
Dome Plateau, Top of the World and Onion Creek/Polar Mesa are all easy trails with amazing scenery. Arches National Park has awesome scenery and an easy trail to the Arch Sierrabob mentioned. Free with the senior pass makes the park visit even better.
The guide book is by Wells and is very informative although a little dated. I'd still recommend it as it's very detailed.
I think the RV park you mention is in town. You might try to get into one of the BLM campgrounds. Goose Island is really awesome however none of them have hook ups. There's a dump station in town that's available with water fill as well.
Slick rock rv park is not one I would suggest. It's really dusty and you share a common area with your neighbor plus. John usually stays at the Portal so he can give some input.
johncanfield likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
The OK RV park (south of town) is old and tired. Lots of sand spurs - if you walk your dog, put some booties on their feet. It's adequate for a few days though. The primero RV park in town as Bob mentioned is The Portal (just north of downtown). There are owner-owned lots that can be rented and a regular campground area (some sites are water/electric only.) Spanish Wells (south of town) is a nice park, we've stayed there a few times. Whichever you choose, call ahead asap for reservations.

To reiterate what others have mentioned, use the Wells book (with a GPS) for trail finding. Fins n Things is an easy trail but you have to pay a few bucks for access. Hell's Revenge is fairly easy if you bypass the hard stuff. 7 Mile Rim is a very fun trail but it's easy to get lost on it even with a guide book.
mac and Stinger like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
All good. Elephant Hill is one I wouldn't miss. I've run it 3 times.
mac and johncanfield like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
The OK RV park (south of town) is old and tired. Lots of sand spurs - if you walk your dog, put some booties on their feet. It's adequate for a few days though. The primero RV park in town as Bob mentioned is The Portal (just north of downtown). There are owner-owned lots that can be rented and a regular campground area (some sites are water/electric only.) Spanish Wells (south of town) is a nice park, we've stayed there a few times. Whichever you choose, call ahead asap for reservations.

To reiterate what others have mentioned, use the Wells book (with a GPS) for trail finding. Fins n Things is an easy trail but you have to pay a few bucks for access. Hell's Revenge is fairly easy if you bypass the hard stuff. 7 Mile Rim is a very fun trail but it's easy to get lost on it even with a guide book.
If you use Spanish Trails ask them for a back row. The truck/auto traffic on 191 can really get annoying. Another is Canyon Lands just across the street from Moab Brewery. The spaces are a bit tight for bigger coaches but they have a pool
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:07 AM

For RV or tent camping I recommend Pack Creek Campground. MUCH quieter than the ones along 191 and cheaper too.

http://packcreekcampground.com/home/

As far as a guide book x2 to the above recommendations for the Chuck Wells book. He even can provide a SD card that works with a Garmin GPS to shop trail maps and trailhead navigation.

https://www.funtreks.com/
johncanfield likes this.

06 LJ RUBI, 35 MTRs, OME ZJ/LJ, Nth TT/armor, A to Z rockers; rockmen merc/superwinch,Vanco brakes, Rokmen CAs, Antirock, 4.88s, Currie steering, hula girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdr501
Long after the sweetness of low price is gone, the bitterness of poor quality remains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page