Wanted: Expert Advice on Backwards Hill Slide - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TJ & JK Forum Tips, how-to, parts & accessory discussion and information
RubiconOwnersForum.com is the premier Jeep Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Default Wanted: Expert Advice on Backwards Hill Slide

I am looking for some input on how to best recover from an aborted hill climb that leaves you diagonal or sideways and sliding. I am imagining that if I had a manual that I would clutch it and try to straighten it up for a backwards roll. With an auto, lockers and lo gear, everything is solidly locked and it won't roll (but it WILL slide) backwards. Should I try to stab neutral right away?

Imagine the following video with another 15+ degrees of angle and more ruts - it could be a bad scenario.

http://vimeo.com/6807056

I am trying to create some good habits...just in case.
1.75" BB
Super Swamper LTB 33x13.5x16
Superchips Flashpaq, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Evap Relocation
Cobra 75 WX CB with CoolTech Antenna Mount
Machine154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Default Re: Wanted: Expert Advice on Backwards Hill Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukegm426
some wiser heads than mine will chime it, but you don't have to stab neutral right away. if you choose to use it just hold the brake and shift into it. unless you really know what your doing you don't want to suddenly hit neutral cause it leaves you without the gas pedal basically cause your uncoupling the drivetrain. if it was me and in the scenario your describing, after stopping i'd crank the wheel uphill and try to straighten it out. even if your not gaining ground going up the wheel slippage should bring the front end around. if that's not working or your not comfortable doing it then have some one up top strap you so you can keep it dirty side down. if your sliding and it's not going to stop like the video did, it's the same concept. steer uphill and give it some gas to try and get things lines up again. at an angle like that you might want to unlock so the jeep doesn't creep more sideways on you...being unlocked you can use the wheel not spinning as an anchor to keep it more stable while you get it repositioned.
Thanks for the reply - it is what to do during the uncontrolled slide that I am most worried about. I am pretty comfortable with it after it is stopped. Another factor that seems to make it harder is the momentum in the driveline - it doesn't like to stop instantly. Good point on steering more uphill - I was focused too much on stopping the motion in this example.
1.75" BB
Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rubicus Maximus

I have a manual and I was doing my first steep climb that was about three times longer than the one in the video and I got stopped near the top. I wasn't sure what to do and I didn't want to start sliding backwards (it was basically real dry gravel) so I put in neutral and let off the brakes a little and I felt like I started steamrolling down the hill so I hit the brakes as I was going backwards and the feeling of going faster and faster while the COG of the rig leaning back from me braking was NOT a good feeling.

In hindsight I think I should have thrown it into reverse and let out the clutch since I was already in 4LO. I think that would have controlled my backwards descent.

So, I am also interested to hear what the consensus is!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Send a message via Yahoo to Don_TLR

A vehicle under power is a vehicle under control.
Picture driving down and the vehicle slides sideways, what do you do, hit the brakes, HECK NO, you gas it to gain control again.

I didn't see the vid but just adding a general comment from reading your post.

My Mods

Member: Lizard Rescue
Don_TLR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_TLR
A vehicle under power is a vehicle under control.
Picture driving down and the vehicle slides sideways, what do you do, hit the brakes, HECK NO, you gas it to gain control again.

I didn't see the vid but just adding a general comment from reading your post.
X's 2

In the video the person should have cut the wheels the other way while giving it gas is the way it looks to me. But what Don said reminds me of what a monster truck driver said one time (Can't remember which one). He said that if the truck ever starts to get crazy, goose the gas and she'll straighten up and settle down.
SweetPee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine154
Quote:
some wiser heads than mine will chime it, but you don't have to stab neutral right away. if you choose to use it just hold the brake and shift into it. unless you really know what your doing you don't want to suddenly hit neutral cause it leaves you without the gas pedal basically cause your uncoupling the drivetrain. if it was me and in the scenario your describing, after stopping i'd crank the wheel uphill and try to straighten it out. even if your not gaining ground going up the wheel slippage should bring the front end around. if that's not working or your not comfortable doing it then have some one up top strap you so you can keep it dirty side down. if your sliding and it's not going to stop like the video did, it's the same concept. steer uphill and give it some gas to try and get things lines up again. at an angle like that you might want to unlock so the jeep doesn't creep more sideways on you...being unlocked you can use the wheel not spinning as an anchor to keep it more stable while you get it repositioned.
Thanks for the reply - it is what to do during the uncontrolled slide that I am most worried about. I am pretty comfortable with it after it is stopped. Another factor that seems to make it harder is the momentum in the driveline - it doesn't like to stop instantly. Good point on steering more uphill - I was focused too much on stopping the motion in this example.
If you are in a situation where there is no choice but to back down a slippery slope the service brake will want to lock up the front tires first. When that happens you lose all steering. If you also use the emergency brake you can change the brake biasing so you can get more braking effort while keeping some steering control.

CJ10R
CJ10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine154
Quote:
If you are in a situation where there is no choice but to back down a slippery slope the service brake will want to lock up the front tires first. When that happens you lose all steering. If you also use the emergency brake you can change the brake biasing so you can get more braking effort while keeping some steering control.

CJ10R
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this won't fly in 4LO locked, since everything is linked. I guess if I keep the front diff open before the climb, maybe I get one tire to steer with? Chances are I'd be fully locked for such a slippery climb, though. Maybe I should reconsider that part to pick up some safety.
1.75" BB
Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Send a message via MSN to Topless Rubi

Dare I say lubed seat cushions for easy removal

Only time I got really messed up I needed reverse to bring the front down which gave me to much momentum backwards with a slide into some trees, with the tires spinning slowly I eventually got them hot enough to make some headway uphill.

After three tries that all looked the same my daughter slapped me and got out too walk

john
Topless Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official WebWheeler

If you're sliding downhill, drop it in reverse and drive it....as others have said. No brakes, emergency brakes, etc.

Start on small hills and get practice before you get in over your head.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official WebWheeler

In relation to the video with the fact the Jeep wasn't on that big of a hill and it was muddy and smooth, the last thing that he should do is lock up the brakes and try to ride it down. At the angle he was at already, best to let it roll backward and straighten it out with the tires rolling. If you're not ready for that....practice backing up on flat ground (yes there are folks who can't back straight down a driveway)...Kinda along the same lines if you're going down a hill and the butt end tries to come up on you...the last thing you do is mash the brakes. Yes, it'll be a rough ride, but not as rough as tumbling down on the roof.

When all else fails....MASH THE GAS!!! It makes for a better video!

"Crab fishing in Alaska"
Red Dog Leader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TJ & JK Forum Tips, how-to, parts & accessory discussion and information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.