TJ Winch bumpers - Rubicon Owners Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

TJ Winch bumpers

It has been a while but I'm in the market again.. just curious what everyone is using these days.. I'm between Genright, Rokmen mercenary and a few others... I like the winch guard look, but not a stinger.. Any ideas or photos would be great..
Nor really into the JCR Off-road look on a TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8544.jpg (247.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7831.JPG (250.0 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem04rubi View Post
It has been a while but I'm in the market again.. just curious what everyone is using these days.. I'm between Genright, Rokmen mercenary and a few others... I like the winch guard look, but not a stinger.. Any ideas or photos would be great..
Nor really into the JCR Off-road look on a TJ

This bumper and with LED light installed
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AD8AENOLLD9D9

This winch
https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-97...G2FTNWKYGQVVGE

Amazon total cost for both $585.99 free shipping! Wow

Yes these are mighty cheap compared to Warn and other high-end bumper/winch combos. Based on the Amazon reviews Jeep owners are happy and satisfied.

I’m new to the Jeep world and winches although I’ve seen them in action. Seen one burn up too. Always thought you needed the best and most expensive. But thinking that these are modern day products and achieving good reliable performance.

This is just a suggestion that I am looking at too. The other more experience fellows here will let us know if these are bunk or OK.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 12-30-2016 at 11:57 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:31 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Trail Products out of Simi Valley Ca.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (107.3 KB, 146 views)
sierrabob likes this.

4xcontractor
'05 Sahara #882, OME 2" lift, Rockchrusher difguards, JKS 1-1/4" BL, JKS BMM, Jeep Medic TT & ES,Jeeperman swing-a-way, Warn 8000 winch, Viar compressors, MCAI, Currie Sliders, Savvy tank Skid. Trail Products Front Bumper

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Garage
My Rubi needed to go on a diet - I got rid of my steel bumpers and went with Savvy aluminum. Unfortunately there are no aluminum swing away tire carriers on the market so I don't carry a spare tire any longer, just a couple of tire repair kits. (The primary reason to ditch the spare tire was to get that 100 pounds of the rear of Rubi - makes steep climbs more doable and much safer.)

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
My Rubi needed to go on a diet - I got rid of my steel bumpers and went with Savvy aluminum. Unfortunately there are no aluminum swing away tire carriers on the market so I don't carry a spare tire any longer, just a couple of tire repair kits. (The primary reason to ditch the spare tire was to get that 100 pounds of the rear of Rubi - makes steep climbs more doable and much safer.)
John, safer meaning not flipping backwards?

Considering climbs will the heavy winch counter balance and keep nose on the ground?

2005 Rubicon
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabob View Post
John, safer meaning not flipping backwards?

Considering climbs will the heavy winch counter balance and keep nose on the ground?
Right, as in not pitchpoling. My steel rear bumper with swing away tire carrier must have weighed at least 75 pounds, I weighed my tire/wheel at 100 pounds so that's close to 200 pounds at the extreme end. This adds to unloading the front end on a steep climb, in other words the front axle/tires are not firmly planted and contributing to the forward momentum.

A typical setup for failure is an unloaded front, steep climb, some momentum (the rear tires are doing most of the work), the front tires hit a rock, small ledge, etc. Bam, over you go. We've had two or three club members do that very trick in the last two or three years.

Weight up front from a steel bumper and winch is okay but the front end is still going to unload on a steep climb. Some well set up rigs will have a suck down winch up front that can pull the front down to keep it from completely unloading. A popular setup is to use the primary winch and run the cable/line down to the front axle and control the winch from the inside.

I've also seen some ATV winches used, I think Stu Olson has a write-up about setting this up.
sierrabob likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Rubi Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xcontractor View Post
Trail Products out of Simi Valley Ca.
Some questions -
Do you have any more photos of this bumper on your TJ? Is that the 1/8" steel or 3/16" steel version, and can you estimate the weight of the bumper you have? Also, did you have to drill holes to mount the lights on the ends as you show in the above photo?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xcontractor View Post
Do you have any more photos of this bumper on your TJ? Is that the 1/8" steel or 3/16" steel version, and can you estimate the weight of the bumper you have? Also, did you have to drill holes to mount the lights on the ends as you show in the above photo?
I'll get you some more photos, 3/16 version I'm not 100 positive I think the holes were there for the lights I had to enlarge them-I think, I did have to buy their winch mount which sits over the sway bar, a flat plate winch mount will not fit with this bumper. I liked it because it exposed the front tire, not quit a stubby but not full size either, it was a little dificult to fit over the frame horns,a tight fit, everything lined up though. I don't know about the weight 35-40 lbs??.[/QUOTE]
glwood likes this.

4xcontractor
'05 Sahara #882, OME 2" lift, Rockchrusher difguards, JKS 1-1/4" BL, JKS BMM, Jeep Medic TT & ES,Jeeperman swing-a-way, Warn 8000 winch, Viar compressors, MCAI, Currie Sliders, Savvy tank Skid. Trail Products Front Bumper
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Rubi Crawler

I took a Rock Hard 4x4 Full Width Front Bumper that I had and cut the wings off and welded an end cap...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_10209923009260250.jpeg (67.7 KB, 21 views)
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

I have been tempted to go with undercover fab bumpers, if I changed mine out.

http://www.undercoverfab.com/bumpers...eep-yj-tj.html

http://www.undercoverfab.com/bumpers...ler-tj-lj.html

But, mine are still steel

2003 Rubicon, with stuff
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2011 Rubicon, gone
2017 JKU sport, just 60s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page