RE or Metalcloak lift - Rubicon Owners Forum
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
squinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 254
Garage
RE or Metalcloak lift

I am starting my refresh re-build on my 04 TJ. I am going with a long arm lift, 35" tires, 5:13 gears and dropping some ARB lockers in. I plan to a little on board air set up.

I will be doing all the work myself with friends except for the gears and lockers. I currently have a 3" Teraflex lift with a 1" body lift and 1" motor mount lift. I am looking at the 4.5" MetalCloak RockSport Edition long arm lift. It comes with long travel shocks http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-Lock-N-...ion-p/7179.htm

The other lift I am looking at is the Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm lift with rear track bar http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...pn=R%2fERE7215

or the Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm with rear Tri-Link http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...pn=R%2fERE7515

Not sure of how much difference the rear sway bar VS. Tri-Link will make. (Which is better).


I am not familiar with either lifts but I have talked with folks that love both of them. I don't want to get too high with my jeep so the 5.5" lift seems pretty high to me where as the 4.5" MetalCloak lift is a little lower. I would like to keep my 1" bodylift also. I do plan on removing the stock fenders and go to a high clearance fender. Looking to try and keep a LCG since I a shorty.

This is my daily driver around town and I use it for wheeling of course, camping and hunting. I tow a small Tentrax trailer once in awhile for camping trips.


If anyone is running these lifts or know more about them I would love to have your input.

Thanks in advance,
Benny.

04 Rubicon with stuff
squinko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Rubicus Maximus
 
bojang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 530
Garage
It's been said before, but I'll say it again, no Johnny Joints, no good.
Metalcloaks joints are supposed to be a pretty good alternative, but I wouldn't get the RE for anything.
I would also avoid anything that has a skid plate/control arm mount thing like either one of those has, had one previously, you cannot do things now that you have to take those parts off to get to your frame.

I have a Clayton long arm on mine. Would put it back on in a minute.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris
2005 Rubicon
1997 Grand Cherokee
1956 CJ-5
bojang is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Rubicus Maximus
 
MxRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rio Rico AZ
Posts: 1,407
Garage
Have you taken a look at the Savvy mid arm suspension?
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Savvy-M...LJ-SMA-KIT.htm
I was considering installing it in my TJ before I bought my JKU.
johncanfield likes this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 Cv shaft, Skyjacker High clerance transfer skid...
2016 JKUR A blank canvas
MxRubicon is online now  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:28 AM
Rubi Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: wellington NV
Posts: 105
I'd take a look at Rock Krawlers LA's

2011 JKU XD60/PR80 5.3LC9 6L80e Trail Grappler 40" Atlas 3.8. Custom RK Pro Aluminum long arms frt with Tringulated rear uppers and lower trailing arms C/O's and Bypass all 4 corners. ORO sway lock/Currie rear Poison Spyder everything except front Expedition One front bumper with Warn 9.5 CTIS
2007JKU is online now  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Rubi Wheeler
 
CaptRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sunnyvale, CA/Knoxville, TN
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by squinko View Post
I am starting my refresh re-build on my 04 TJ. I am going with a long arm lift, 35" tires, 5:13 gears and dropping some ARB lockers in. I plan to a little on board air set up.

I will be doing all the work myself with friends except for the gears and lockers. I currently have a 3" Teraflex lift with a 1" body lift and 1" motor mount lift. I am looking at the 4.5" MetalCloak RockSport Edition long arm lift. It comes with long travel shocks http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-Lock-N-...ion-p/7179.htm

The other lift I am looking at is the Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm lift with rear track bar http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...pn=R%2fERE7215

or the Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm with rear Tri-Link http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...pn=R%2fERE7515

Not sure of how much difference the rear sway bar VS. Tri-Link will make. (Which is better).


I am not familiar with either lifts but I have talked with folks that love both of them. I don't want to get too high with my jeep so the 5.5" lift seems pretty high to me where as the 4.5" MetalCloak lift is a little lower. I would like to keep my 1" bodylift also. I do plan on removing the stock fenders and go to a high clearance fender. Looking to try and keep a LCG since I a shorty.

This is my daily driver around town and I use it for wheeling of course, camping and hunting. I tow a small Tentrax trailer once in awhile for camping trips.


If anyone is running these lifts or know more about them I would love to have your input.

Thanks in advance,
Benny.
I have installed two long arm kits on my LJ's. I had the Rock Krawler 7" (they offer a 5 1/2" now) on my 2005 and an Iron Rock 5 1/2" on my 2006. I would run from anything Rubicon Express, as I had issues with their joints, but, granted, they may have improved them since 1998. If I had to compare the two long arm kits, RK or IR, I would get the RK kit with the IR steering kit. There are a few things I liked with both kits and a few things I didn't. As far as installation, I took my time, did it myself and everything has been perfect. I took 3 weeks for each kit, but I wasn't in a hurry and each Jeep was a third vehicle, so I didn't have to hurry. Mentioned above was the issue of replacing the transfer case/tranny crossmember and using that for the long arm mounts. It's not an issue and I wheel hard. In fact, both the RK and IR kits have a great designfor the mounts at the transfer case cross member area. Both of these kits came with 32K lb rated joints that measure 2 1/4". If I break one of those, I was doing something wrong. I have had the IR kit on the LJ for 7K mi and the joints are still performing like new. Both kits are 3-link front and triangulated rear. I hate to post the pictures below that I have, but it shows the IR kit very well, LOL Hmmmm, can't seem to get the pictures to post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rons Jeep Rolled At Hollister 6.jpg (168.9 KB, 7 views)

2006 LJ Rubicon
Dirtworx rear bumper/tire carrier
Barricade front bumper
Badlands 12K winch
6- round LED lights (4)
HID headlights
Rough Country hood prop
Cobra 75WXST CB
K40 antenna
7-way trailer connection w/brake controller
Powerstop slotted and drilled front brake kit
Superior chromoly front and rear axles
Iron Rock 6" L/A lift
Doetsch Tech and Pro Comp shocks
Iron Rock Over the Knuckle Steering
35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears
CaptRon is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
squinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 254
Garage
Thanks for all the info. Seems most folks prefer the linked suspension in the rear over the sway bar. I have never ran a linked suspension so that info is very helpful. There are so many different types of lifts and gear that goes with them it make my head spin.

This forum has been very helpful over the years. Thanks again.

Great pic of your suspension CaptRon!!

04 Rubicon with stuff
squinko is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Administrator
 
johncanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 8,254
Garage
Getting rid of the rear trackbar was one of my priorities when we went to a D60 last year. The trackbar really limits articulation, 4-link is the way to go (also the trackbar results in asymmetrical flex, one side will droop lower than the other. )

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
johncanfield is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Rubicus Maximus
 
bojang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 530
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squinko View Post
Thanks for all the info. Seems most folks prefer the linked suspension in the rear over the sway bar.
Are you talking about the track bar? Yes, a 4 link is so much better without a trackbar, you probably will want to keep the rear swaybar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon View Post
Mentioned above was the issue of replacing the transfer case/tranny crossmember and using that for the long arm mounts. It's not an issue and I wheel hard. In fact, both the RK and IR kits have a great designfor the mounts at the transfer case cross member area.

It will be if you ever decide to change anything. You can no longer change just the front or rear, you have to change a side.....
Or you live in the rust belt.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris
2005 Rubicon
1997 Grand Cherokee
1956 CJ-5
bojang is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:49 AM
J&J
Rubicus Maximus
 
J&J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Carthage, NC
Posts: 1,332
I have been completely impressed with MC products. My front end is all MC. I do at least a couple miles a day of rough unimproved road, plus weekend wheeling and it is my DD. Joints have held up in outstanding fashion. For running those 35's, high clearance fenders and keeping your BL, I would consider the MC 3.5" springs, rather than 4.5. As for the rear end if you have the chance, follow a jeep with a linked rear end vs. a track bar. No comparison in articulation in my experience. I cannot comment on the on road differences if there are any.
johncanfield likes this.

JE Suis Prest ~ Semper Fi
J&J is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 09:11 AM
Administrator
 
johncanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 8,254
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojang View Post
Are you talking about the track bar? Yes, a 4 link is so much better without a trackbar, you probably will want to keep the rear swaybar....
Roger that - keep the swaybar or better yet, go to a rear AntiRock.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
johncanfield is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Random Question

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metalcloak!!!! LJRubi05 TJ Reader's Rubi's 23 05-24-2017 08:59 AM
Installed metalcloak 2.5" rocksport lift on my 09 JKUR...couple of issues! jfandem JK Suspension and Steering, Tires and Wheels 8 05-16-2016 08:27 PM
Metalcloak or Currie Ben Gliffin JK Suspension and Steering, Tires and Wheels 8 05-14-2016 01:23 AM
metalcloak fenders orange rubi General Tech 22 01-25-2016 12:25 PM
Metalcloak lift opinions rednecktech TJ Suspension and Steering, Tires and Wheels 21 08-03-2015 12:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome