2005 Rubicon new vibration after re-gear - Rubicon Owners Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

2005 Rubicon new vibration after re-gear

After a re-gear from stock to 4:88 now have new vibration above 60 mph and a slight howl from the differential. Went out on a smooth stretch of freeway to get data with a GPS to set the speed healer. Above 60 I can feel a drive train vibration in the steering wheel and strong enough to be felt through the seat. Note that after the lift there was no vibration like this so definitely caused by the recent work.

Called 4 Wheelparts, shop that did the re-gear, and reported the vibration and will call back and make an appointment with the mechanic.

I googled the vibration issue after re-gear and many Jeep owners have had the same experience and lots of information to be had. Driveshaft balance and pinion angle are the first suspects. I'll keep you informed as to the search and attempts to fix this.

2005 Rubicon, 3.5 lift, 33's, auto.

2005 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Garage
I wonder if they pulled a driveshaft apart before marking the two parts?

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
John, for my information, would you explain so I might have good questions for the mechanic.

I have never removed a Jeep driveshaft myself and not familiar with "pulling one apart" nor the reasons to mark the two parts. Thanks

2005 Rubicon

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:25 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Why they would pull it apart I have no idea. But it is the only thing that makes sense. What else could cause a driveline imbalance after just a re-gear? (rhetorical question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabob View Post
John, for my information, would you explain so I might have good questions for the mechanic.

I have never removed a Jeep driveshaft myself and not familiar with "pulling one apart" nor the reasons to mark the two parts. Thanks
There is a splined union for expansion and contraction as the diff moves up and down. If the front and rear sections of the driveshaft are balanced together and not re-aligned there may be a balancing issue.

Sorry John... I know the question was for you. Please elaborate or correct me if I am wrong.

My dogs name is Rubi
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:52 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
A lazy shop might pull a driveshaft apart so they wouldn't have to disconnect it at the TC. Of course the same idiot who would do this has no understanding that it is balanced and can only go together one way. Good luck OP, sounds like the mechanic doesn't know how to do this job.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:48 PM

This is very common when re-gearing especially with the auto trany. In most cases it is the front pinion angle. It is noticeable now because the driveshaft is spinning at a much higher speed. Unusually you can dial this out or nearly out by adjusting the front pinion angle until you hit the sweet spot. Not everyone is able to completely get rid of these vibes it seams but many have.

2005 Rubicon LJ - 35x12.50x17 Pittbull Rocker Radials- 4 1/2" BDS Springs - MetalCloak Aluminum Control Arms - Fox Shocks By Savvy Offroad - Antirock - Warn Winch - Savvy Front Bumper - Groundpounder Fab Rear Bumper - "GR8" Half Top - 5:13's - GenRight Fenders - Banks Monster Exhaust - Black Magic Brakes - Revolution Axle Shafts - LS-III - 4L80e - High Performance Flux Capacitor

76 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Pt. Cage - Dana 300
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

OP here, I'm taking notes on all the possibilities, appreciate all the information.

Originally I was setting up the re-gear with a pro shop but they wanted $2300-$2400. I made a decision to save a few hundred and now faced with this vibration problem. From what I read this can happen to any shop. How the shop handles a problem is is the real test on professionalism.

I called the 4 Wheelparts shop and they will take the Jeep back and check it out. Just hope they are professional and fixes this.

Mouse and johncanfield like this.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 05-24-2017 at 02:24 AM.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
Keep us posted.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:18 PM

Garage
Interested in the outcome. I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing with my TJ rebuild.

04 Rubicon with stuff
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:52 PM
Rubi Crawler

I've read so many horror stories over the years about 4WP, I usually avoid them like the plague. They are one of the few installers in Abq that does gear changes...here's hoping this one turns out great in the end for you.
Stinger likes this.

2004 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page