05 tj rubicon 6 speed to aw4 swap, I need help - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TJ & JK Forum – Tips, how-to, parts & accessory discussion and information
RubiconOwnersForum.com is the premier Jeep Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Default 05 tj rubicon 6 speed to aw4 swap, I need help

My name is david and first of all sorry for my english, Iīm from spain and I own one of the few TJ rubicon that are here, because jeep didnīt sold it here so I have the problem that my car is really unknown here.

I make some searchs on ROF forum and another ones but really I donīt find the answers to my questions...I explain you what happen to me......

I have a 2005 Tj rubicon 6 speed manual and I have the possibility to swap to an aw4, a friend of mine give me an 2000 XJ obdII donor so I can take everything I need from it but I have been reading about this swap and I always read the same... the best swap is the AW4 in wranglers 2001 ad olders but if the rubicon is 2004 or newer I always read that it will be a lot of problems and nobody recomended it because they said that my jeep engine compute and the aw4 will not "understand" each other because they use diferents protocols but in other webs I read that itīs possible.

I have been thinking about this swap a few years ago, I had been problems with my clutch since the first day, my rubi have now around 100000 kilometers and I change the clutch four times, the fist time on warranty with 20000 km to an OEM one, 20000 kms later I change again to an centerforce reinforced clutch and 40000 km later I needed to change again to another centerforce that at least last double than oem one, really nobody know why but my car jerk and make a lot of noises from clutch and now the 6 speed gears box makes a lot of noises too above all on 4th and 6th gear. Now I have the oportunity to get an aw4 with no costs but really I donīt know if this swap is possible in my 05 tj rubicon and really I love autos and Iīm a little bit tired of my clutch problems.

When I changed the second clutch I started to look for an auto swap and I sent an email to high impact transmission and gear and they said me that they prefered the 700r4 swap because is easier than the aw4 becuase it donīt have electronic controllers, they sell all I will need but it will be really expensive and I have to add the delivery cost to Spain that will be not cheaper at all and customs in spain that can reach a 42% of the total amount more so at the end it will cost to me around 10000$ or more. Today I find a 700r4 from a corvette here in spain just rebuilt but I donīt know wich year but I have been reading about this transmision and it looks like to have a lot of problems.

Really I donīt know what to do...do you think that it will be possible to swap the aw4? if it is possible can you say me wich parts will I need? Will I need any adaptor? perhaps it will be the 700r4 a better and easier option? wich one you recomended?

I hope you can help me...thank you very much and have a good day
JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON 2005...rock krawler 4īlong arm, 4.5īrubicon express springs, 1īBL, 35x12.5x15, rancho 9000x with remote control, ORO swayloc, 5:13 gears, sparco torino II backets, ARB and WARN bumpers, RAMSEY rep9000 winch and more
kore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Default Re: 05 tj rubicon 6 speed to aw4 swap, I need help

Look over at JeepForum. I believe that mrblaine has done the AW4 swap successfully on a factory 6 speed equipped TJ/LJ.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve578
Look over at JeepForum. I believe that mrblaine has done the AW4 swap successfully on a factory 6 speed equipped TJ/LJ.
X2 on this, I know Blaine has done it. See what he says for swap info and I THINK JF has some threads on it also as Steve noted.

That said, I wonder how much is actually "clutch" problem in your Jeep, and how much is actually "Centerforce" problem in your Jeep. It is pretty commonly known that the Centerforce style clutch is horrible in a Jeep type application. They work great for high speed high horsepower applications, but are just horrid in a Jeep with slow speed crawling type use. throw out bearings have been questionable also. If you do the clutch again, go back to factory Luk clutch-they are known to be the best/longest lasting. Also, the throw out bearing has changed in newer styles to save money and now has a plastic cage design which is undetermined how well that style will last now. If you do go back to Luk, then look for the steel casing on the throw out bearing depending on which kit you buy.

Sorry can't help more. Keep us posted what you do and how you go about it-oh, and no worries-your English is better than most Americans!

Best of Luck,

Mike
'05TJLWBRUBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Agree on the Center Force clutch. The only time I have ever been towed off a trail was when my Center Force clutch plate disentergrated on my YJ. Never had a problem with OEM.
Please keep us posted on your progress with this project. And like Mike says: Best of luck.

By the way your English is a LOT better than my Spanish!
05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara with NO Moab stickers!
Stinger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

thank you to all of you, I emailed to Mrblaine thanks to '05TJLWBRUBY, he is amazing... by the first moment he helped me a lot and gave me the news I want to hear... itīs possible to swap the aw4 on a 05 TJ rubicon and it is not so difficult to do it. Of course that by the moment I have millions of questions to do but the "patient" Mrblaine answered me some of the firsts questions but I think that I get him tired of me with so many questions.

First of all I will buy a pair of parts that Blaine said me I will need and like here in Spain there is no nothing of this that I can buy here I need to buy it in USA by web but I will need two or three weeks for the parts arrives to Spain and of course I need to pay shipping cost and customs here in spain that usually taxes a 42% to the price of the parts. When I have the parts here I will start with the swap, today I talk with my mechanic that is one of my best friends, we read all the information that Mrblaine said me and we take a look to Stu Olson writes up and a lot of the information that you can get on internet. My friend said me that he think that this will be easy and we just only have to take care to plug and install everything in the right way and the swap should work fine.

Like I have at least two or three weeks since the parts I need to buy arrives to Spain I will read all the information I can get a million times , in this way my friend will be the hands and me will be the mind that make the swap. We want to have all clear and all the parts that we will need and try to do the swap on a weekend, in this way my jeep will not disturb my friend workshop to do his daily work.

I feel like a child to do this swap, I love autos but I bought mine manual because I read that auto trans from rubicon is not good but everybody that do the aw4 swap love it and I hope me too. My friend is anxious too because these type of works are a challenge for him and in this way he feel that grows in his profession, always that I read the mods you do in USA I want to cry because here these mods are really difficult to do becuase we have no parts, nobody knows how to do it and here all you improve in your car is unlegal and if you want to be legal you have to pay bigs amounts of money for just a simply signature on a paper.

Thank you again to the members of this great forum, without your help my rubicon should not be what it is now...my favourite toy

JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON 2005...rock krawler 4īlong arm, 4.5īrubicon express springs, 1īBL, 35x12.5x15, rancho 9000x with remote control, ORO swayloc, 5:13 gears, sparco torino II backets, ARB and WARN bumpers, RAMSEY rep9000 winch and more
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, Blaine Johnson is one good man. I am glad that you have your problem possibly, solved. You have one good looking Rubicon!
............... Greg you don't need any F...... pictures! ...............
f9k9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

X2 on the nice looking Rubi!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rubi Noobie

Well... finally I did the aw4 swap, if you donīt talk me about blaine I never do the swap so thank you to all of you. I emailed him a lot of times, and he always answered me...he was really patient, now the swap is done and almost working perfectly, just only have to suffer the check engine light because the CPS new location, or at least blaine and me think that this is the reason because my rubi have this fault and another rubi that blaine did the swap have the fault too.
I really love my rubi now...well really I love it a little bit more than before, really works fine and I like a lot the way it shifts.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the update. Good to know that things went well.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage

!Muy bueno
johncanfield is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TJ & JK Forum – Tips, how-to, parts & accessory discussion and information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.