Rubicon Owners Forum banner

That darn P0432 code

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DoctorD 
#1 ·
I've searched here and a few other places about this code (Low Cat Efficiency Bank 2), and most people wind up getting the cat converter replaced under warranty. Mine's an 04 TJ Rubi. I called my local dealership and explained what I knew about the code, and he insisted on charging a diagnostic fee first to 'assess' the problem, rather than replace the cat, and insisted it was going to be an O2 sensor. So I called a VERY reputable dealer here in GA (Jasper Jeep) and the service tech took the time to walk me through what the service department would do first, second, third, and fourth to fix the problem, and said that while yes, typically the Cat will need to be replaced, he suggested a few things to try first.

So I got to playing with things tonight and now I'm dumbfounded. I started by clearing the codes and resetting the PCM as per the instructions in the FAQ. Then I thought I would swap the sensors around and see if it'd throw a different code, but I found out the hard way that all the sensors have slightly different connectors, so that wasn't going to work. I put everything back together the way it was, hooked the battery back up, did the PCM reset procedure (key on, lights on/off, key off), and then took her for a test drive. The check engine light never came back on. I drove about 15 miles, filled up with gas, and drove back, with nary a problem.

If it does throw the code again, should I just go ahead and replace that rearmost O2 sensor first, before taking it in to the dealers service department? If it turns out to be the O2 sensor, it'd be alot cheaper than a couple round trips to Jasper Jeep to have it looked at (hour drive one way). Plus if it's not the O2 sensor, at least I've already replaced it, so the dealer could rule that out as a potential problem and move on toward replacing the cat?

What would ya'll do?

I really hate dealing with dealer service departments because I've had alot of bad experiences with other vehicles. This will be the first time in the three years I've owned the Jeep that I'll have to have a dealer look at it, and I'd much rather do the work myself if possible.

Thanks!

Jeremy

See less See more
#2 ·
Rubi_in_GA said:
I've searched here and a few other places about this code (Low Cat Efficiency Bank 2), and most people wind up getting the cat converter replaced under warranty. Mine's an 04 TJ Rubi. I called my local dealership and explained what I knew about the code, and he insisted on charging a diagnostic fee first to 'assess' the problem, rather than replace the cat, and insisted it was going to be an O2 sensor. So I called a VERY reputable dealer here in GA (Jasper Jeep) and the service tech took the time to walk me through what the service department would do first, second, third, and fourth to fix the problem, and said that while yes, typically the Cat will need to be replaced, he suggested a few things to try first.
What did he suggest? Clearing the code may turn off the light for a while, but it will come back. It's a hard monitor to run, so it may take a while to complete the code set criteria. Days, even weeks....BTDT.

The sensor really can't set this code alone. If the sensor was at fault, there will be switch time codes as well. Cat efficiency codes such as yours mean the sensor data looks nearly identical between the precat and postcat sensors on that bank. That means the sensor's good.

#3 ·
You're right, the code lit up again after about an hour of driving, same code. The main suggestion the dealer offered was to 'try' to swap the sensors if the pigtails would reach, but alas, they wouldn't. So I put everything back the way it was. I think I'll just bite the bullet, pay the diagnostic fee and see what they say. I'm sure they'll come back claiming it's an O2 sensor, and I'll have to hassle them about that, but maybe I'll get lucky.

#4 ·
After much frustration with my heep, here's what I found:
I began to get the same codes, so in it went to a local garage. He said that both of my upstream O2 sensors were bad. Seemed a lil odd that two would fail, but whatever, replace 'em. No joy. The code was not repaired. A bit later, my 3rd cat clogged up, so off it came. Kept getting the code, but it's cold out and I don't wanna lay in the driveway if I don't hafta (I don't wanna hear it, you Minn. people! I'm a wus in winter!). Then, I began experiencing a hesitation/stumble at 2800-3000 rpm only when warmed up, after highway driving. I pulled the exhaust off at the Y-pipe to inspect the two upper cats for obstruction and found that they had disappeared! As it turns out, the uppers broke apart, the pieces went downstream and clogged the third cat. So now I have no cats, and it occasionally sets the code. Apparently, this is due to the fact that the downstream O2 sensor detects the same thing as the upstream sensor, telling the PCM that there is a problem with the cat. Incidentally, the hesitation/stumble has disappeared as of two weeks ago and all seems well.

#5 ·
I've been fighting that P0432 for a month now. Just took my 04 Rubi to the dealer this morning. They confirmed that is WAS the catalitic converter, and was covered under the federally mandated 8yr 80,000 mile emission warantee. They have had to replace several according to the mechanic. If your getting this code and you're under 80,000 miles, get it to the dealer!
Here were my symptoms:

The code P0432
And a slight lag as I would get on the gas.

Don't wait, they told me the cost of the cat would have been $1100.00. Don't know if that was labor included. A couple of hundred bucks for a diagnostic and an o2 sensor seems cheap if you consider the alternitive.

#7 ·
You know, I was really expecting it to be the cat, but since I knew the stealership wouldn't replace them under warranty without me paying to have 'them' replace the O2's first, I figured, what the hell, I'll go ahead and replace the O2's myself and just 'see' if that affects anything. I replaced both the O2's on the rearmost cat, (the upper one was the correct part, the lower one was a universal where I had to splice the factory connector) but amazingly, it's been about 3 weeks and well over 500 miles, and the CEL hasn't come on again. I also bought an Actron Autoscanner Plus, which reads codes and also does freeze frame and real-time data as well, and I've been checking pretty regularly to see if I have any pending codes, and everything looks normal.

Go figure?

#8 ·
Rubi_in_GA said:
You know, I was really expecting it to be the cat, but since I knew the stealership wouldn't replace them under warranty without me paying to have 'them' replace the O2's first, I figured, what the hell, I'll go ahead and replace the O2's myself and just 'see' if that affects anything. I replaced both the O2's on the rearmost cat, (the upper one was the correct part, the lower one was a universal where I had to splice the factory connector) but amazingly, it's been about 3 weeks and well over 500 miles, and the CEL hasn't come on again. I also bought an Actron Autoscanner Plus, which reads codes and also does freeze frame and real-time data as well, and I've been checking pretty regularly to see if I have any pending codes, and everything looks normal.

Go figure?
Check your readiness monitors. It's not unusual to have them not completed in several THOUSAND miles. The catalyst monitor is a hard test to run on the Jeep. It may take months. If the monitor hasn't run, it can't log a fault. If it runs and passes, it'll say "complete" If it runs and fails, it'll log a pending code. If it still fails, it logs a DTC and puts on the light.[attachment=1:uft05f3m]readiness monitors1.jpg[/attachment:uft05f3m]

Attachments

#9 ·
Is there any way to force or speed up the catalyst monitor test? Also, Doc, can you link me to the info on what each $-- number references on a Jeep? (i.e, $02, $04, $05 etc) I'm pretty sure I can check each, but my scan tool and manual only references the number, not what they mean, so I'm not sure which ones to check. I only just got it a week or so ago, so I'm still learning. :)

#10 ·
I think the TID in Mode $06 for the Jeep's O2 heaters is 26 and 27, but there's no need to see the raw value, you simply want to know if the monitors have run and completed. That's not in Mode $06 as the pics above show.

You can't speed up the monitors, they're like a checklist. When all the conditions are met for the monitor to be complete, it'll complete. It runs continuously, and "ticks off" the criteria as they're met. Once all the ticks are met,the monitor's complete. If it passes, the light stays out. If it fails, you'll get the freezeframe and pending code. Next trip you get a light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.