Clutch Replacement - Rubicon Owners Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Clutch Replacement

Thank you to all the Rubicon Owners Forum members who have guided me with excellent advise throughout the years.

I have a 2004 jeep rubicon 5 speed manual which I bought brand new. It has 161,000 miles of TLC driving. Recently when I come to a red light and go to neutral, it's giving me a hard time to put back in gear , especially 1st gear. I presume this means it's time for a new clutch.

There are lots of options out there ... OEM Mopar, Luk etc. Any suggestions or recommendations ? Should I go with Factory Mopar or After market ? I can well afford either or.

I know I'll need - clutch, pressure plate, pinion bearing and pullout bearing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Rubi Wheeler

I just went through this with my '06 LJ 6-speed.
From my research the LUK is supposedly the OEM clutch. There are several negative comments on the throw-out bearing included with the kits. They contain plastic parts that people have attributed to early failure of the throw-out bearing.
I ordered the LUK kit and a separate all metal TOB.
I don't currently have access to a place to work on my Jeep, so I had a trans. shop do the R&R. For some reason they were confused by the T-case linkages and reinstalled them incorrectly.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Thank you FLLJ,

So based on your comment , it seems as if OEM is the way to go. I know some aftermarket products are amazing, but clearly, your example is very valid ... Luk makes OEM clutch, but their kit TOB is cheap and the to fail.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 PM
JKP
Rubi Wheeler

Check the hydraulic system, sounds like the clutch is not completely releasing. You may only need the clutch slave and master cylinders.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Thank you to all the Rubicon Owners Forum members who have guided me with excellent advise throughout the years.

I have a 2004 jeep rubicon 5 speed manual which I bought brand new. It has 161,000 miles of TLC driving. Recently when I come to a red light and go to neutral, it's giving me a hard time to put back in gear , especially 1st gear. I presume this means it's time for a new clutch.

There are lots of options out there ... OEM Mopar, Luk etc. Any suggestions or recommendations ? Should I go with Factory Mopar or After market ? I can well afford either or.

I know I'll need - clutch, pressure plate, pinion bearing and pullout bearing.

Thanks
You really answered your own question. You got 161,000 miles out of it!!! Why would you go with amything else. Hell I only got 20,000 out of my 56 Chevy
johncanfield likes this.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Clutch replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
You really answered your own question. You got 161,000 miles out of it!!! Why would you go with amything else. Hell I only got 20,000 out of my 56 Chevy

Stinger , it all depends on how one drives a vehicle. And it may not be a "warn clutch" issue, but rather a hydraulic issue.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Stinger , it all depends on how one drives a vehicle. And it may not be a "warn clutch" issue, but rather a hydraulic issue.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:51 PM
JKP
Rubi Wheeler

Yep, I managed to get 230K out of the clutch in my YJ before the pilot bearing went. The clutch itself still had some friction material left.

Currently have about 163K on my TJ clutch, no problems yet.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 04:19 PM

Luk standard. NEW flywheel. Metal TO bearing. If you're handy with a wrench, it can be done in a day. Be sure to soak the exhaust collector bolts with some PB blaster the night before u want to do the work. And some "wobble extensions" make getting those bolts out easier. Also, you will need some star sockets to get the two bolts at the very top of the bell housing out.

'04 Rubicon aka "Mutt"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post

True but rare.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page