Roof Rack and tent. - Rubicon Owners Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Roof Rack and tent.

So recently I have been looking at roof racks and tents for a trip I'm making. I really like the look and price of the BODY ARMOR rack, looks clean and strong. Anyone have experience with it? I will be coupling it up with the ROCKY MOUNTAIN Explorer tent out of Canada.

I am looking for some input from users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Rubicus Maximus

It depends upon where you travel in the Jeep. Chances are that your Wrangler is already heavier and with a higher center of gravity due to a lift and bigger tires. In that case, the addition of a rack and tent above the roof makes it lots worse. Two types of terrain that Wranglers with roof racks need to avoid are paved roads (which have higher travel speeds) and uneven offroad terrain. These are where the chance of a rollover rises to a dangerous level.

For most Jeeps in most places, pulling a trailer with a rooftop tent is the better option. A trailer costs more is about the only drawback, and a trailer also requires that you install a tow-rated rear bumper. But the risk of rollover on paved roads is much reduced, and offroad, you can roll the trailer and not the Jeep, if you use a multi-axis coupler.

Gary
1967 Kaiser Commando
2001 Grand Cherokee WJ
2003 Rubicon TJ
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

I like the ability to pull over and be compact enough to at any given area. within 5 minutes be camping. Jeeps in general are something to be mindful of for highway driving. I don't think it will be a big issue. I have a trailer and it's limited to areas due to it's size. I love the roof top tent concept. especially for my application.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1461340701490.jpg (45.0 KB, 7 views)
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Garage
Roger that, that's why we have a motorhome. We are camping in 10-15 minutes after arrival. (Nice rig!)
Stinger likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

I can pull the Beast over and be set up in minutes, but I'm not driving this up. The jeep with a tent and my son going all over seeing the sights and enjoying the freedom to pull into virtually anyplace will be awesome. I'll be bringing a drone and his rc boat just to be cool!!
johncanfield likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Just the rack. not any of the add on's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep rack.jpg (97.6 KB, 3 views)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Of course the Jeep will make this look sexier! It's a true 4 season tent. Setup is in less then 5 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof tent.jpg (139.8 KB, 3 views)
johncanfield likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I was recenlty looking into a roof tent myself and I ran into this one from smittybilt:
http://www.smittybilt.com/overlander...nd-awning.html
A few years ago I had a rack made for my TJ which allowed the crossmembers to be unbolted and got extra corssmembers made, this way I can easily remvoe them to change accesories or change the tops. Looking at the pic you posted it seem the rack you are looking at will do the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-03_13-20-13_108.jpg (115.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-03_13-21-48_823.jpg (129.3 KB, 2 views)
Mouse and Spook like this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 Cv shaft, Skyjacker High clerance transfer skid...
2016 JKUR A blank canvas
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Yes it's supposed to. I looked at the Smittybilt, and it's just personal preference as to why I went with the BodyArmor. As for the tent, I researched a bit and most all of them are made over seas, and made with canvas. The one I chose is made from a true treated material and is built with a little more thought of strength and true 4 season abilities. Again just my opinion.. but I liked talking to the company and the price was really good for what I got.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Yes it's supposed to. I looked at the Smittybilt, and it's just personal preference as to why I went with the BodyArmor. As for the tent, I researched a bit and most all of them are made over seas, and made with canvas. The one I chose is made from a true treated material and is built with a little more thought of strength and true 4 season abilities. Again just my opinion.. but I liked talking to the company and the price was really good for what I got.
I know exactly what you mean, when I got serious about a tent for my camping trips I purchased a springbar. I imagine in Alaska you have to be more demanding of the products than in the southern states.
Spook likes this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 Cv shaft, Skyjacker High clerance transfer skid...
2016 JKUR A blank canvas

Last edited by MxRubicon; 05-28-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page