36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Thumbs up Bike talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRubicon View Post
Thanks, already took it for a ride

My bike is why my Jeep has no miles. I rode 42 yesterday. I usually ride 50 or more on Saturday but it was a little cool, and rainy, so I came home. I haven't added up my bike mileage for the year, but it's around 2K since March. My bike is carbon, with the 105 groupset. I just recently installed a pair of Zipp carbon bars which are really nice, they are thin like a wind but broad on top, it keeps my fingers from wanting to clinch the bars. Mine is a road bike I built earlier this year. I would post a pic but I don't host my pics anywhere other than FB.

Wildrat
2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
You guys are serious cyclists!

I volunteer as SAG for about four charity cycle events each year. It is impressive to watch the 100 mile group in each event.

Frankly, I think they are nuts to be riding in the Orlando metro area. The drivers are terrible here.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #3 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtotem View Post
You guys are serious cyclists!

I volunteer as SAG for about four charity cycle events each year. It is impressive to watch the 100 mile group in each event.

Frankly, I think they are nuts to be riding in the Orlando metro area. The drivers are terrible here.
Yep, that area is murder. It's much better over in the Clearwater area with the Pinellas Trail. Where I am at now is crazy too mainly because of the abundance of untrained pseudo humans. I've gotten a camera on the bike now and video my rides. I need a rear facing camera, maybe I will get one later this year. I've already gotten one construction company to change the way their drivers drive. I posted the video on their website and got an immediate response and so far their huge dump trucks have been giving a wide berth to cyclist.

Wildrat
post #4 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
My bike is why my Jeep has no miles. I rode 42 yesterday. I usually ride 50 or more on Saturday but it was a little cool, and rainy, so I came home. I haven't added up my bike mileage for the year, but it's around 2K since March. My bike is carbon, with the 105 groupset. I just recently installed a pair of Zipp carbon bars which are really nice, they are thin like a wind but broad on top, it keeps my fingers from wanting to clinch the bars. Mine is a road bike I built earlier this year. I would post a pic but I don't host my pics anywhere other than FB.
Mine is a felt B14, carbon with ultegra groupset, I'm very happy with it. The only thing Im planning to change for now is the seat, I want somethig to relieve the pressure on the perineum.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 Cv shaft, Skyjacker High clerance transfer skid...
2016 JKUR A blank canvas

Last edited by MxRubicon; 01-02-2017 at 02:24 AM.
post #5 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRubicon View Post
Mine is a felt B14, carbon with ultegra groupset, I'm very happy with it. The only thing Im planning to change for now is the seat, I want somethig to relieve the pressure on the perineum.
I use the ISM Typhoon. It has no nose and once adjusted correctly you rarely think of the nethers. I am thinking of getting another ISM seat for my road bike, one of the PL or PN models.
The typhoon has more padding and the others models I mentioned have less.
I have the ISM Typhoon on my steel bike I use for indoor training. You can pick up a Typhoon or PR 3.0, PR 3.0 being the updated model with graphics for under 100 bucks if ya look, be wary of imitations though even on Amazon.
Also if your like me I do not like spending money on expensive clothing. I wear Performance Ultra Bibs, which you can get for 79 bucks or less on sale and I wear Nashbar jerseys that cost 15 bucks on sale. Nashbar has a couple other jerseys that go on sale with printed stuff on them but the material is different and I do not like it in hot weather, when it's cool around here, i.e. at or below 48 I will wear them. Oh 48 is my cut off for wearing my summer gear. Below 48 I will usually wear my tights, and light jacket.

http://www.ismseat.com/all-saddles/

Oh, don't forget lights. I use Cygolytes, very bright. I have Cygo Hotrod and Hotshot on the back and Cygo Dash on the front. My camera is a Garmin Virb Elite and my computer is an old Garmin Oregon. I use my Oregon because the data is bigger, plus it has internal mapping and supports ANT sensors.
My cyling glasses come from Sunglass Warehouse, they sell bifocal sunglasses. I use a yellow lens so I can ride night or day without changing glasses, out where you are it may be too bright with a yellow lens. My current helmet is a Bell Star Pro. I was using a Giro Aero helmet up until I had a crash.

Wildrat

Last edited by Wildrat; 01-02-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #6 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I took a couple pics and hosted them.
This is my Carbon bike. I call it a DIY, pronounced Die or Dye, since I built it,
The bike

The ISM Typhoon Seat, it has no nose. Whne correctly adjusted the front sits just behind the nethers.

These are the Zipp Carbon bars. They are a nice platform for my big hands when I am on the tops.

Wildrat
post #7 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Nice bike, I don't see the shiters, I assume you are running a shifter/brake combo?

Thanks for the tips on the cycling clothes, I'm just starting my learning curve. I'm using my running clothes to ride the bike, the first thing I learned is running jackets will not protect you from the wind so I purchased a light windbreaker after my first ride.

The shop I got the bike from in Tucson has a saddle test program, where they will let you try several saddles for $25, which will go towards the purchase of the new saddle.
One of the saddles Im looking forward to try out is the ISM IPN 1.1, other brands they carry are fizik, cobb and selle.

For now I'm using my mountain bike helmet, but Im looking forward to buying a road helmet as well as the computer and some lights.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 Cv shaft, Skyjacker High clerance transfer skid...
2016 JKUR A blank canvas

Last edited by MxRubicon; 01-02-2017 at 11:10 PM.
post #8 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Yes, it's the brake shifter combo. When I built my steel bike it was the first time I ran across these. They have been around for ages now, but were new to me and I was like how are these suppose to work but now I think they are great.

I like bibs over shorts because the bibs don't bunch up and cut into my waist. Some people complain about taking a leak, they are whiny babies, all I do is pull down the front.

The reason I went with the ISM is because my oldest son uses one on his Tri bike, plus I knew it had too be better than the seats with noses. Like I said about the ISM seat it has to be adjusted correctly and it may take a couple rides to tweak it to your riding style. The ISM site has info on basic setup .

In the summer when it gets hot I use Clif gels, and now I have been using Clif bars which seem to fuel me much better than the gels.

I wore a mountain helmet for awhile till I got the giro aero helmet on sale, then the crash which scraped up the helmet, but everyone said replace it because of the way the foam in the helmets work. I wanted another one like it but wasn't going to spend well over a hundred bucks to replace it. Giro has a replacement program when you crash but you have to buy from them and even with their discount the helmet was more expensive than just buying outright from a seller. I went with the Bell, it was less expensive and had more features, the lens and you can close off the vents to make it more aero or keep rain and cold air out. Giro and Bell are owned by the same parent company.

Anyway, if you ever have a question and want a down to earth answer without the pre-madonna cyclist BS just ask and if I can answer your question I will.

Wildrat

Last edited by Wildrat; 01-03-2017 at 08:53 AM.
post #9 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Garage
You guys carry on here with bike chat.
Desert Dog likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:19 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Good info on the seats. Might make me dust off the bikes and go for a ride.

2003 Rubicon, with stuff
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2011 Rubicon, gone
2017 JKU sport, just 60s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page